I don’t function well first thing, but also don’t have a ton of time to become fully alert.
That’s why I think the most important thing about getting out the door is getting ready the night before, (or in the early evening, if you’re not a night owl.) For me, it’s so important that I’m able to go on autopilot in the morning and not have to make any crucial decisions, (like what to wear or feed myself…)
Here are a few simple and elementary tips. I am sure a lot of you might remember your parents telling you some of these.
1. Have a night before checklist
- Charge everything you need for the next day (phone, laptop, iPad, iPod etc.)
- Defrost something for tomorrow night’s dinner in the fridge (so you don’t have to think about it in the morning.)
- Lay out your clothes for the next day (including shoes)
- Set your coffee maker up and prep as much of your breakfast as you can the night before
2. Create a morning Launch Pad
For me, this is the table right by the front door. This is where I keep everything I need for the next day:
- your purse, backpack, laptop bag
- Reusable shopping bags
- Sports equipment
- Kid’s backpacks (with homework safely tucked inside)
3. Go to bed at a decent time. (Sleep is not just for princesses who have servants, our bodies need sleep time to heal and stay healthy.)
4. Stay consistent with your waking time each day. This will train your body to naturally wake up on time. Even on days you don’t have to get up early, do it. This will give you a wonderful break from your morning routine. You can spend time in the Word, sip your coffee, watch the news or just enjoy the quietness of the house while the natives sleep.
5. Keep everything in the same place. For example: your dog’s leash should hang on the same hook every time you get home, so it’s easy to find in the morning.
So what have I missed that you may do that will help another girlfriend out? I want to hear it all. My mornings get by me way too fast!
Tell me in the comments below what your tried and true strategies are for getting up and out the door in a snap. What makes your mornings easier? One commenter this week will win a copy of The Get Yourself Organized Project and a $10 Starbucks Gift Card
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- Episode #309: The Clutter Free Bedroom The 6 Simple Habits I Have Everyday So I Can Fall Asleep in a Clean Bedroom Every Night - June 19, 2018
- Clean Laundry How Tos … (AND an Amazing Freebie Just for My Readers) - June 18, 2018
- Episode #308: God’s Plan for You- Embracing the Girl Who Loves the Hustle - June 12, 2018