The Clutter Free Bible Study group has done the top layer of decluttering but is now dealing with the things that have sentimental value or promote guilt. Together they came up with some tips for dealing with the next level of clearing out the clutter.
7 Tips for Decluttering Sentimental Stuff
- Start in the Kitchen There are fewer sentimental items there.
- Put motto on the wall. Keep it visible in a place where you can see it.
- Give it a final goodbye. Take a picture and write a memory about it and then get rid of it.
- Remember when everything is precious, nothing is! You can’t keep everything. Some things you need to enjoy and let it go.
- Keep 3 things per person. Three items that represent each person. Curate what is important and pass the rest on to someone else.
- Don’t guilt others into keeping things.
- Don’t value the past or the future and ignore the present. The clutter of the past or saving things for the future can just crowd out your present life.
Just do little things and start small. Let your house serve your present, not your past or your future.
Kathi’s Pantry Before and After