Today I spent a very long, but good day listening to Nancy Beach and Nancy Ortberg discussing the topic of women in leadership in the church. (And I know that many of you were there as well, as we had deep, deep discussions re: Steam Punk.
I loved the day – not just because the two Nancys are so right on, but I got to spend some quality time with Jane Liddle (the Worship leader for one of Menlo Park Prez’s campus churches, and the leader of Tapestry – the rockin’ chick band) and Debbie McDonald, a cool chick pastor from Westgate church in San Jose.
Oh, women in leadership… I so wish that you all could have been there not only to listen to these two ladies who have been-there-done-that in the church, but to be in a room with maybe 300 women who love God and love to lead.
For those of you who were not able to be there – here is a list of the eight best things I heard at the conference.
- Help! I am a leader trapped in a woman’s body.
- Nobody ever calls little boys bossy.
- We need to learn to wait well.
- John Ortberg Re: Women serving in the church: “It is not an option for 50% of God’s kingdom to be sitting on the sidelines.”
- Leaders need to be the most self-aware people in the room.
- We want to keep making mistakes, just different ones.
- Almost every issue is a team issue.
- You don’t get the right answers unless you ask the right questions.
If you were there, I would love for you to share any bit of wisdom that I missed.
If you weren’t there, what is the best thing you have heard about women in leadership in the church.
Later on today I will have the give away for today.
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- #330 Stretched Too Thin: How Working Moms Can Lose the Guilt, Work Smarter and Thrive with Jessica Turner - November 13, 2018
- 5 Fall Decluttering Tips - November 12, 2018
- A Cluttered Faith (guest post with Shauna Letellier) - November 8, 2018