My sister-in-law, Lucinda, is one of my favorite people on the planet (and not just because she is the main caretaker to the cutest kid under 18 on the planet, my niece, Elsa…) She’s a great cook, a huge encouragement to my kids, and she puts up with my baby brother on a daily basis. A saint, really.
But little did I know the secret talents that my sister-in-law possessed in the stain-removal area. (Honed to perfection by the cute girl sliding down the tube, pictured…)
My mom told me, with great admiration in her voice, that Lucinda could “Get any stain out of anything.”
And since this blog is all about getting to the good stuff in life, I thought that if we all had a sure fire stain removal system, that could free up hours every year to do more exciting things like write a book, start a non-profit, or redecorate a room. (Or perhaps I am just REALLY bad at stain removal…)
Here is Lucinda’s surefire strategy:
How to Remove Laundry Stains
- Spray with stain remover. Honestly – what kind doesn’t really matter. Pick your favorite and really douse it.
- Rub and let set for a while. Patience is important here.
- Put garment in 1/4 c of Oxi Clean and 1 gallons of water and let soak until you wash a load of clothes.
- Wash with other like clothes.
- Check the stained items before transferring them to dryer; if the stain is still visible put the garment aside and start the process over again (though the stains often come out even after going through the dryer). Sun exposure helps lighten stains.
Other note on how to remove laundry stains from Lucinda: “Peroxide with liquid laundry detergent works wonders on wine stains, and my mom even used it to clean a doggie vomit stain from her carpet. I rarely follow the advice of testing for color fastness on a section of fabric that is inconspicuous; I either try to get rid of the stain or just live with it.”
“I think it all comes down to a little elbow grease & persistence (like many things in life). Oh, and it is probably true that smarter women (and/or men) worry far less about the stains in their children’s clothes.”
I couldn’t agree with her last couple of sentences more…
Want Kathi’s Wildly popular Homemade HE Laundry Detergent Recipe?
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- #352 How to be a Focused Mom in a Distracted World with Anne-Renee Gumley and Amanda Bacon - April 16, 2019
- How to Avoid Distractions and Live Out Your God-Given Purpose - April 15, 2019
- #351 Dealing with Family Clutter Part 2 with Tonya Kubo - April 9, 2019