Halloween is now behind us and Thanksgiving right around the corner but before we start bringing out the Christmas decorations let’s take a moment to celebrate fall by decluttering a bit, shall we?
Here are five simple things you can do this week to get rid fall clutter and create space in your home to welcome in the holidays:
1. Get rid of any fall décor that you don’t use anymore. As you are unpacking those pumpkins and scarecrows, are there any pretties that just aren’t making your heart sing anymore? It’s time to give that velvet pumpkin to your friend who has always admired it, or straight to Goodwill if no one has asked you to leave it in your will to them.
2. Clean out your pantry to get ready for holiday baking. There is nothing worse than mixing up a batch of pie dough than to find out that one of your ingredients has “turned” and now the whole thing is ruined. If you don’t know how old that flour, butter, etc. is, it’s too old. Pitch it, replace it, and keep track of when you opened the box/bag.
3. Check your broom. For years, I used the same, awful broom that had all of its bristles pointing in wildly different directions. Then – I swept with a broom at my friend’s house, and it actually… well, swept… (Shocking, I know…) Is it time to do something different with your broom (like, replace it?)
4. Garden stragglers. Are there still beach toys, “Welcome Summer” signs and Uncle Sam statues hanging out in your garden or back yard? It’s time to put all those away and make room for all the fall.
5. Pack away beach towels. My kids would use these way after the last bathing suit was put away. Sadly, each towel takes up a half a load of laundry.
Taking a few minutes to declutter this week will set you for success as you prepare to move into the holiday season.
- #376: Three Decisions to Make Today to Have the Best Christmas Ever - October 1, 2019
- #375: A Christmas Plan For Those Who Are Overwhelmed By Christmas - September 24, 2019
- How to Say “Good Morning!” (And Actually Mean It) - August 21, 2019