Apricot and Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
I love any recipe that is a twofer.
A twofer is any dish that can be served just after making, and then is also fabulous later on as a LOOP (Left Over On Purpose.)
The reason I love this recipe is twofer:
- It is a warm, nourishing breakfast to have on a Monday morning when the world feels like too much and you just need some comfort food to make the world right again.
- It is perfect on a Tuesday morning, straight from the fridge as an “Oatmeal Bar” which I then grab and go as I drive into town for work with my homemade latte.
See? Twofer. (That is, if your crew doesn’t eat the whole pan first. If that’s a possibility, you may want to consider making TWO pans to be assured of oatmeal bars later.
2 1/2 cups oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole almonds, roughly chopped
1 cup blueberries
1 1/3 cups whole milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup butter, divided (2 tablespoons melted, 2 tablespoons room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
Fold in the almonds, apricots and blueberries. Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, cream, honey, 1/4 cup brown sugar, egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and vanilla to combine. This creates a custard-like mixture that you then pour over the oats.
Cut up the rest of the butter and put that on top, along with the remaining brown sugar.
Bake for 25 or 30 minutes, or until the oatmeal has absorbed the liquid and is golden brown on the surface.
Cool slightly before serving.
Let me know if you’ll be trying baked oatmeal, or if you have a favorite twofer recipe in the comments!
We would love to stay connected!
To share your thoughts:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- 449 Help! I’m Living in a Remodel. What Should I do? Questions with Kelly and Kathi - February 23, 2021
- 448 What does Jesus Have to Say About Your Stuff - February 16, 2021
- 447 Do I Sell It, Donate It or Give It Away? Questions with Kelly and Kathi - February 9, 2021