Next week, I am going to be sharing some of my favorite CrockPot receipes with y’all, but since we are taking hospitality this week, I thought I would share my “Company’s Comin'” menu.
When I know we need to feed the hoards, I just make this chili (if my reserves are not depleted, I may even have a batch or two in the freezer,) and have Roger grill some hot dogs on the BBQ. Some people just want the chili, some kids just want the hot dogs. (BTW, it it’s raining, or if you don’t happen to live in CA with perpetually beautiful weather, the George Foreman works just as well…) And then some want to make chili dogs. anything goes -and everyone is happy. Add a salad and some brownies and coffee for dessert, and I am all set.
Why do I love this menu so much? Because I can make it in the morning, and then there is no fussing with it until dinner is about to be served. (Because you know, if you are coming over to spend the night, that means I am spending all day throwing stuff into closets and making the bathrooms less scary…)
I’ve included my yummy chili recipe below, but my question for you is this:
What do you sever when company’s comin’? Bonus points if you share the recipe!
A less-spicy version that even kids will like.
3/4 lb Ground turkey
1 cup Chopped onions
1 clove Garlic, minced
1-16 oz can Stewed tomatoes
1-16 oz can Kidney beans or lentils, drained
1-16 oz can Tomato sauce
3 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Basil
1-6 oz can Tomato paste
1. Prepare: In a large saucepan, cook ground turkey, onions, and garlic until the onions are translucent and the meat is brown. Drain. Stir in un-drained tomatoes, drained kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Let cool.
2. Freeze: Double bag in gallon freezer bags. Lay flat in freezer and freeze.
3. Serve: Let chili thaw overnight. Warm on stove or in microwave.
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- Book Review: A Street Cat Named Bob - October 13, 2017
- Clean Out Your Car (and a Clutter Free MOPS Meeting) - October 12, 2017
- Happy Mornings: 5 Easy Steps to an Effective Routine - October 9, 2017