Everyday, Jake the puggle (our pug/beagle mix) needs to be walked. (We live in a townhouse, and Jake is afraid of the back yard, so all official business must be accomplished on walks.) And between Roger and I, Jake gets walked, over two miles, every single day.
I walk him most mornings, and I have to tell you, generally, I really enjoy it. He is a happy dog, and except for the frequent “SQUIRREL” moments, he is pretty well behaved. I strap on my iPod, listen to a downloaded book, take a stroll in my complex, and generally enjoy my morning.
One of the drawbacks however (and trust me, I’m trying to be discreet here,) is that Jake does his business early in his walks. I, being a responsible dog owner, clean up after my dog and get to carry that little blue baggie for the rest of the .9 miles.
Here is where I am having problems.
You see, I was still enjoying our walks, blue baggie and all, until two weeks ago.
For the past two weeks, I have been carrying that little bag as I pass by a white truck. The white truck has a sticker on it that says “No Heifers – Truck May Tip Over” (Very reminiscent of the “No Fat Chicks” stickers from a couple of decades ago.)
I have to say. That little sticker evokes a lot of thoughts for me. Here are the thoughts – in numerical order:
- That guy is a moron.
- Why is it, no matter what time of morning I pass by the truck, is it ALWAYS there. Does moron not have a job? Did he expend so much energy picking out that oh-so-clever sticker and affixing it to the window of his car that, besides making beer runs, that is all he can manage to accomplish in life?
- I hate carrying this blue baggie.
- I know where I could put this blue baggie and not have to carry it any futher.
Yes, I KNOW that is not what Jesus would want me to do. And I know that even HAVING that thought is not a good thing.
But really, can you blame me?
(I comfort myself by thinking that surly Beth Moore has had some blue baggie/white truck moments. But probably not.)
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- How to Have a Happier Husband on Focus on the Family Today! - June 19, 2017
- Five-Week Fling Begins Today! Join Me! - June 12, 2017
- Eliminate 1,000 Things: Join the 5-Week Fling - June 7, 2017