It’s the Monday after Mother’s Day and you will be going into work our logging onto Facebook and you will see what every other kid, every other husband, has done for every other mom on the planet.
I don’t know how your Mother’s Day went. Some year’s mine is great. Some years, not so much. (This is not a color-me-bitter post. I had a lovely day.) But no matter how your day went, tomorrow can be filled with challenges…
- If your day was not all breakfast in bed and hand-drawn cards, it could be hard to hear about the flowers that were delivered, the brunches eaten, but other moms.
- If you had a great Sunday, there could be a crash and burn when you realize that it’s another 364 days until you have a Sunday afternoon off.
So here is what I want you to do, today, in celebration of National Comparison Day: Something just for you.
I want you to take a moment today to take care of yourself. It is so important that you do not measure the job you are doing as a mom by the number of kids who posted their love on Twitter. It is critical that you do not spend Monday going over the game tapes of how your day went.
Here are just a few things that would count in taking care of yourself and celebrating you as a mom:
- Getting a latte
- Reading a chapter in a book that not about your work or your kids
- Sitting by a lake, a pool, or any other body of water
- Buying a $5 magazine that you normally wouldn’t buy (Real Simple is my magazine indulgance)
- Buying a song on iTunes (May I suggest Sara Groves, Jack Johnson, or Third Day…)
- Lighting a candle that smells amazing
Q4U: What are you going today, on National Comparison Day?
Bless you girl. You are doing good work.
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- Podcast Episode #282 – The Lifegiving Table - December 12, 2017
- A free DOWNLOAD and an AWESOME Giveaway - December 11, 2017
- Get Yourself Organized for Christmas Project 21: Your Personalized Special Project - December 11, 2017