According to US Small Business Association, over half of all businesses are based out of the owner’s home. However, not all of those businesses are healthy, life-giving enterprises. What does it take to build a healthy home-based business? Give yourself a check-up with these 7 Vital Signs of a Healthy Home-Based Business:
- What is my ‘Why’?
- Does it connect to one of my passions?
- How would it effect me if I could no longer do this work?
- How does my work make me feel?
- Am I frustrated or fulfilled by my work?
- Do I have both long-term and short-term goals?
- Are they written down and placed where I see them often?
- Do I make big goals or easily attainable goals?
- Do I use my goals as filters for my decisions?
- In my line of work, what does success look like?
- What is my process from the beginning to the identified success?
- Am I flexible and willing to change the way I do things?
- Are there areas in which I could be more efficient?
- Do I have a business plan and budget?
- Do I follow said budget?
- Am I paying bills and filing taxes on time?
- Do I need outside help with financial issues?
- Am I using credit responsibly?
- Are my clients pleased with my products and/or services?
- Do clients refer me to others?
- Do I have a way for clients to evaluate my work?
- Where can I improve my process or product to make sure that my client is completely satisfied with the work I do?
- How does my work contribute to family life?
- How is my work a detriment to family life?
- Do I need to ease up on what I commit to?
- What are my kids learning through my work?
- How can I involve them more?
- How does my spouse or significant other feel about my work?
- Does my work drain me or energize me to be with my family?
- What are my top strengths?
- What is my strategy for investing in my own professional growth?
- Where can I find resources that will help me grow?
- What conference might I attend this year?
- What book(s) might help me take my work to the next level?
- Am I willing to network?
- Am I willing to be coached on maximizing my strengths and working around my weaknesses?
Make a quarterly appointment with yourself to run though this check-up!
What other “vital signs” of a healthy home-based business would you add?
She and her husband Roger are the parents of four young adults in San Jose, CA. When she’s not dating her husband or hanging out with her puggle Jake, Kathi is speaking at retreats, conferences and women’s events across the US.
Latest posts by kathilipp (see all)
- How to Make Routines Work for You - August 10, 2017
- When Cheap Costs - August 7, 2017
- Clutter Free: Seven Steps for Just Getting Started - July 27, 2017